Problems are left to solutions, and solutions are left to choices, and choices are left to me.

Choose. Take chances. Make dreams happen. And it's life.


Sunday, November 21, 2010

Life as a Dancer

When I first entered the world of dance, the first question that came to my mind was: "Can I dance?"

With the long journey I have traveled in these world, I learned a lot of things. I have learned that technique is the greatest weapon you could ever use in dancing. Even though you don't exactly know the steps, you could look as if you do, if only you have that right technique. A technique is not easy to be developed. It always takes time to learn something. And so if you want to have technique.

I can honestly say that I am not a great dancer. Yes, I dance, but that doesn't mean I am great in it. Not all dancers are great dancers. Not all dancers look like dancers. Not all dancers act like dancers. And not all dancers have the heart of dancing.

As I walk into the rehearsal room this afternoon, I looked in the mirror and saw dancers. Some were very advanced, yet, some were still  not that good. As I observe them dance, I came to a great realization. A realization that struck me.

I realized that time is just a factor of how you could be a good dancer. That time is not all that is needed to be better.

I have been in this dance school since I was in kinder and if you count the years, you would know that it's almost 10 years since I started. I could still remember the recitals I went to and how great I felt when I was in them. But if I look into the videos of every recital I had, I would realize that I wasn't that good as how I felt. And now, I would always feel that as if I just wasted every Saturday of my life for the past 9 years I've been dancing. Instead of taking the opportunity to love dancing, I just wasted it. I didn't take dancing seriously, and now that I am serious, I can't make myself any better.

So that just proves that no matter how long you've been dancing, if you don't have your heart in it, you wouldn't do it. Dancing is like any profession, that if you don't know how to love it, you couldn't do a good job out of it.

Loving is always the first. Timing is just the second.

Creative Commons License
Life as a Dancer by Monica Flores is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

2 comments:

  1. I wish I could dance too but, unfortunately, not everyone could. I hope you continue to dance and be proud of your talent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Find your reason sis. Ask yourself what drives you. If dancing's the answer, then that's good :)Remember to love what you're doing. 'cuz if you don't, you'll not enjoy your life. Like Andrea said, be proud of your talent and be proud of yourself. Break out of that shell you're in. Let your colors burst out :) Always smile sis; and always take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete